A rich and proud heritage.
1965 Avila's First Year
Sr Adrian with Form 2 Avila Students, St Leonard's, Glen Waverley
From an initial enrolment of 110 girls in Forms 1 and 2 and just two full time staff, Avila has grown tenfold to become a leading provider of Catholic education for young women. It is now one of the largest Catholic secondary schools for girls in Victoria with an enrolment of more than 1100 students. Testimony to the Avila success is that past students can be found in all corners of the globe pursuing a diverse range of careers and vocations and making a meaningful contribution to the world in which they live.
The College initially operated from temporary classrooms in the grounds of St. Leonard’s Catholic Primary School in Glen Waverley before moving to its present location in Charles Street, Mount Waverley at the start of 1966. Initially students were accommodated in portable classrooms. Construction of a single classroom block began and the grounds looked very much like farm paddocks.